Tuesday, July 1, 2008

New Favorite Organic Dairy Foods

These two 'Super' foods are delicious , tangy and unbelievably good for you i can't believe they can help you maintain a healthy weight , too. Recent studies have proven that dairy can help burn fat as part of a healthy low-fat diet.

Kefir is that ancient food of the gods from the Caucuses that keeps the old folk living into the hundreds of years. It is available in several lowfat versions as well as whole milk .
It makes a mean smoothie , too.


Skyr is an Icelandic delight akin to Greek yogurt but even better AND it has a whopping 16 grams of protein per serving , zero fat and is thick and creamy enough to be used as a dessert.

I am so happy to add back some dairy to my diet . I am slightly lactose intolerant and have pretty much stuck to organic yogurt so it is nice to have new options.
(Thanks Whole Foods ! )

I now eat both of these everyday and highly recommend them .
They adapt well to recipes and are luscious just as they are , too.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Wow, the Skyr looks especially good! It's not dairy, what is it? I'm gonna have to get me some of that...

Lasireneserene said...

it is actually dairy - highly fermented and concentrated so it is really thick and luscious. You can find it at Whole Foods near the regular yogurt.

Anonymous said...

I was pretty happy to find skyr at WF a couple of years ago! I first had skyr in Iceland and loved it but it was NOT legal to bring it into the States. You can't really make it (authentically) without skyr cultures. And I couldn't find anyone selling it in the US.
So, yay, WF!
I love kefir too and didn't know there is a low-fat version.
Do you ever drink almond milk? I LOVE that plus it's good for lactose-intolerant people.
It's also LASSI time of year! (whoo hoo)